Text by Lynn McDaniel
Day 10 of the Twelve Days Countdown represents the 10 colleges at Texas A&M University:
- Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Bush School of Government & Public Service
- Mays Business School
- Education and Human Development
- Dwight Look College of Engineering
- Liberal Arts
- Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences
A&M offers more than 120 undergraduate degrees, 240 graduate degrees, and a doctorate in Veterinary Medicine. This Tier-1 University, ranked 65 in the nation in U.S. News and World Reports, is consistently a Top 10 school for number of National Merit winners who enroll. Texas A&M ranks at the top statewide in student retention and graduation. One out of every ten veterinarians in the United States graduated from the Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences. Texas A&M has five campus locations; the university library system has access to over 4 million volumes and 400,000 e-books. It ranks 13th nationally among academic libraries in U.S. public institutions and 2nd in spending on electronic serials.
Texas A&M offers a University Honors Program that is one of the most comprehensive of its type anywhere in the United States. Every year, Texas A&M offers more than 300 Honors classes and benefits from the participation of approximately 2,500 undergraduates in its programs.
Vision 2020: Creating a Culture of Excellence articulates Texas A&M University’s bold recognition of necessary institutional evolution required to achieve its mission as a land, sea, and space grant institution of global preeminence. Adopted in 1999, with an explicit vision for acceptance as a consensus leader among peer public institutions, more than 250 stakeholders worked to identify benchmarks, which if achieved, would enhance the value of Texas A&M to The Texas A&M University System, the State of Texas, and the nation.
Vision 2020 identifies twelve specific areas of focus, which are underscored as well-crafted imperatives that define accepted precepts and goals that the university will target over the course of two decades: 1. Elevate Our Faculty and Their Teaching, Research, and Scholarship
2. Strengthen Our Graduate Programs
3. Enhance the Undergraduate Academic Experience
4. Build the Letters, Arts, and Sciences Core
5. Build on the Tradition of Professional Education
6. Diversify and Globalize the A&M Community
7. Increase Access to Knowledge Resources
8. Enrich Our Campus
9. Build Community and Metropolitan Connections
10. Demand Enlightened Governance and Leadership
11. Attain Resource Parity with the Best Public Universities
12. Meet Our Commitment to Texas
The Forsyth, Stark, and the MSC Reynolds Student Art Galleries work to provide free, accessible fine arts and programming to students, faculty, staff and guests on campus, thereby helping fulfill the mission of Vision 2020. We invite you to come and visit our galleries and explore the world of art!
U.S. News and World Reports. Website: http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/2012/09/11/frequently-asked-questions-best-colleges-rankings#4