This small sculpture of a cherub holding a skull is located next to the central nave of the Burgos Cathedral in Burgos, Spain, and most probably dates to the first half of the 1500s. Construction on the cathedral began in 1221 and the high altar was consecrated in 1260. After 200 years, construction began again and the cathedral was “finished” in 1567, though the Chapel of Saint Tecla was added in the 18th Century. The cathedral is the burial place of El Cid (Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar), an early 11th Century military hero, and his wife Doña Jimena.
Though the cathedral is open to the public for tours, it is a living church that serves the people of Burgos. The cathedral is also known for being a stop on the El Camino de Santiago (the Way of Saint James), a pilgrimage route ending at the Santiago de Campostela Cathedral in Galicia, northern Spain, where it is traditionally thought the remains of Saint James are interred.